The Columbus Cancer Clinic was founded in 1921 by Mrs. Samuel (Carrie Nelson) Black, with the assistance of two physicians, Dr. James Baldwin, and Dr. Andre Crotti. Mrs. Black believed that the control of cancer was a civic responsibility.
Originally established at Oak and Washington Streets, the Clinic outgrew its site there as well as subsequent locations on East State Street and East Broad Street (with a clinic at University Hospital.) In 1970, the Clinic moved to its own building on Thomas Lane, near Riverside Hospital and, in 1987, to Ceramic Drive, where it is located today.
In 1996, the board of directors and staff initiated a strategic planning process. They said, “Over the past 75 years, we have been very successful and thus able to help those affected by cancer. What can we do to be of service to the Columbus area for the next 75 years?” They answered that question by identifying gaps in services and initiating new programs to fill in those gaps. With community support, the Clinic can make the next 75 years a tribute to Mrs. Black s creative 1921 vision.
The Columbus Cancer Clinic has been funded by United Way of Franklin County since 1923.Funds also come from individual and corporate contributions, program fees, special events, grants, trusts and estate bequests, as well as the very generous support from Ray groups and volunteers.
I would like to donate online.
To promote cancer prevention and early detection and to provide, or partner with others to provide quality cancer care and services.
We believe that:
- Compassion, humanity, and continuity of care must always accompany all services provided.
- All persons should be treated with dignity and respect.
- Every person has a right to access concise information in order to practice preventive healthcare.
- Every person has a right to access high quality healthcare regardless of ability to pay.
- Flexibility is essential to meet the changing needs of the community within the healthcare environment.
- All providers must be accountable for clearly defined and measured results.